About The Job
The Design Director is primarily responsible for the delivery of design assets to a variety of LHC clients. You’ll work with our internal and external stakeholders to deliver everything from brand guidelines to social and editorial assets to web design and visual strategy across a more than a dozen companies. You’ll also serve as a primary point of contact on a select number of client accounts. You’re an effective communicator who has experience dealing with both clients and junior designers and knows how to translate business and marketingspeak into design (and vice versa). You’re seasoned enough to manage a small team, but hand-on enough to do a lot of grunt work youself.
- Distill abstract and often scattered business asks into coherent creative solutions.
- Attend client meetings; try not to laugh or cry at absurd questions from non-designers; project confidence in your ability to solve their problems.
- Manage junior and freelance designers as needed.
- Create elegant design solutions while often working within stringent brand guidelines.
- Work with internal team to build concepts and campaigns and deliver creative assets.
- Be willing to deal with sometimes unreasonable asks and stupid deadlines.
- Maintain a unique voice and tone for each of our clients, based on their brand guidelines and audience.
- Work on our own social channels (LinkedIn and IG), and website when you’re bored.
- Collaborate closely with the rest of our creative team (copy, strategy, account management, and social) to make sure we’re delivering everything our clients ask for.
A few things about how we work at LHC
- Work hard, but not dumb.
- We’re a chill group but we’re in a services business and we should treat it as such - that means responsiveness, respect, professionalism, polish, thoughtfulness etc.
- We respect our clients’ essential humanity even when they seem inhuman (and we try to understand their challenges and what they want to accomplish).
- We value your personal life, and we really will try not to bug you with requests on off hours. That means Fridays.
- That said, clients gonna client, so in some cases there will be exceptions.
- We respect each other’s time / no pointless meetings (30 mins max).
- We DO expect responsiveness to questions -- keep Slack on your phone. No one will ask you to do work on the weekend, but we may have questions we need your help answering.
- Ask for forgiveness not permission; trust your instincts.
- No questions are bad questions; very few ideas are bad ideas.
- If you’re swamped and there are too many things for you to do, let us know, don’t suffer stoically, and don’t work hella late because you have too much on your plate.
- This is YOUR company, so speak up.
- We love it if you have outside interests and we support your pursuit of them.
Our clients are typically marketing departments at B2B brands, ranging from enterprise (Amazon, IBM) to public sector (NY State, the MTA), to small and mid-size startups (Andela, Cloudera, Wix).
- → 8+ years of design experience
- → Basic understanding of content and content strategy
- → Self-starter / don't need much supervision
- → Comfortable in a small company
- → 4-day work week
- → 401k
- → Health insurance
- → Snacks (delivered 2 your home)
- → Quarterly profit-sharing
- → Employee-owned company
- → Dogs & kids encouraged in meetings